thing 12.....social & media just don't mix...

hmmmm, well here's my two cents after reading the prompts for Thing 12.

I like being social. I like my news. I do not necessarily like them both together. Oh sure, it leads to interesting discussions 'around the water cooler' as the saying goes...and yes, I agree with the point in the 23 Things site that librarians need to be in the know, and that patrons will read things online, become curious and come to the desk asking about such-n-such. Fine and dandy. That's what Google is for. My view is that I don't need to be signed up for RSS or site feeds on social media news sites to know or find such things. And what I read is pretty specific to certain sites. Local & national news. What I want to read in news may not be what others want to read, and the way I scope out my personal amt of news is a system I rather like....I'm not usually one of those 'I don't like change' people, but when it comes to Internet news & social sites, I'm happy with my way. I will say that the de.licio.us site is something I've grown to like and use from Thing 11 related to Thing 12...

Out of the 4 sites recommended to look at, I liked Newsvine best. I preferred the layout looking more 'newsy' like a CNN or a Star Tribune site with photos. Not just link after link after link...blech. boring. I think these can be helpful for the right people. I'm just not convinced I'm one of them. And imho, I think they can be productivity detractors as there's quite a few of them, and even if a person worked with just one, it's easy to get sucked into headline after headline after link after link and then, *poof* 30 minutes of non-productivity have gone by (whether at home or at work).


So onto Lucky Thing 13 on this snowy gray cold St Patty's Day ~ See my post from Wed Mar 12th about snowfall in March if you missed it ;) and all I can say today is thankfully my race was *yesterday*...

0 comments:

Back to Home Back to Top just one more mile.... Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.