isn't it ironic?


the reasons for thie post...gail, jeff, allison & kate


ironic in the part where my last post was i had no running mojo.

really, i didn't.

and then this past weekend, mark and i went to DC to visit my best friend of 30 years and her family and while i was out there, i took part in a 12,000+ runners 10 mile race during cherry blossom festivities...

mark had never seen DC, so he had a blast looking at history at every turn...and he met baby kate, who at age 18 months was one of gail's kids he'd never even met before. allison, my goddaughter is now 4 1/2 and i hadn't been out to visit since 2007.

and i? had the best race EVER on sunday 4.5.09. even alone. i usually totally gel best with my girls and team. great karma, everyone right there.

but seeing now that in the past 3 months i've run 2 big races out of state and with no one but my iPod to stick with my pace the whole time, i've learned about myself and my pacing...

for a 10 mile race, i knew what my goal was, pace wise and finish time. i made my goal, set a personal best for that distance, and to please my coach and my ally, i finished in negative splits....which means my last 2 miles were my fastest miles....

HOWEVER. in less than 3 months i am slated to run 26.2. for those that suck at math as much as i do, that's 16.2 MORE miles than i ran with HUGE confidence 2 days ago.

but for the race that I just finished, it rocked...

and here are some photos from the race and the trip to celebrate the cherry blossoms in dc at this time of year. which are not overrated one bit. it rained friday. it rained part of monday. and those 2 days in the middle we were in DC? perfection.

sometimes? it just works out in one's favor.

the album:

the awakening statue at national harbor


the tidal basin near jefferson's memorial


gail and the bouncer mark


cherry blossoms were at their gorgeous peak


katherine elizabeth riegel, age 18 months


after the race...it was SO crowded it's amazing that i found gail, jeff & mark again...


the finish line...for what it's worth, i finished in 1:43..


just after crossing the line *and* finding mark


heading TO the start. sun has just risen, about 53 degrees...perfect.

peace...
~jd

1 comments:

David said...
April 8, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Great post, great pics...and congrats again on the great race!

Back to Home Back to Top just one more mile.... Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.