Thing 7...


email, IM & general e-correspondence tools....

well, email came out new back as i finished my undergrad degree in 1994-95. I remember one of my library sci profs sitting at her desk with the brand spanking new World Wide Web and just being so enamoured at how it would change our lives. Dr. Safford, you were right on....

Email keeps me in touch with my friends & family across state lines, which is nice, as all of my family is outside MN, and all of my 'past' friends from childhood & college are as well. It's a daily automatic chore that I check pretty consistantly, both work & personal email. and i am a gmail fan all the way. clean, neat, NO ADS, and hugely friendly to any walk of life. and it's no longer 'invite only', & it's totally free.

IM. We've only had it at work for about 8 months, and I only started using Gmail's chat about 4 or 5 months ago as well. but I'll say this. addicting, quiet, easy to use and my one main beef with it is the same for any e-correspondence tool. Tone and how things are said can *easily* be taken the wrong way, or come out not the way you'd speak it in person. other than that slight aside, it's a handy thing. It's really nice to be able to IM someone at another branch right away to get some help with a patron's question or to have a book pulled. And at this juncture, it's new and novel, and to some patrons, esp older ones, they almost think it's magic that you're 'talking' with another librarian through your fingers and not by voice. crazy man.

Texting. I agree with my fellow librarian chick, Ann. HATE. IT. I'll use it if absolutely necessary, but to me, I feel old and all of my 34 years and have NO interest in texting. And those doofuses that walk around just texting people without even looking where they're going (or god forbid DRIVING while texting) really are not my favorite kind of people. But to each their own I guess...

long live e-corresponding. but long live one on one in person communications too. i have no desire for a 'faceless' society....

0 comments:

Back to Home Back to Top just one more mile.... Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.